Have you ever watched a home improvement show on television and asked yourself; “I wonder if they could do that to my home?” Or “How do I begin a project like that?”
Thanks to those very shows, more people than ever are realizing that they don't have to move to get their dream home. Investing a little time and money in your current home can go a long way toward getting what you need.
We totally understand that starting any home remodeling project in the San Jose area can feel daunting. However, once you understand the process and partner with the right people, it can be really fun. In this post we'll go over some simple steps to take your project from dream to reality!
First decide why you’d like to remodel. There are several good reasons to update your home.
- Your home may no longer reflect your tastes or your lifestyle.
- Your family dynamics may have changed and you now need more space.
- Maybe you’d like to make your home more environmentally friendly.
- You may even be planning a move in the future and you’d like to invest in your home to make it more marketable.
Whatever the reason, identify it. It will help you determine the next step and solidify your resolve that a change is needed!
The next step is to make a list of everything you’d like to have done and divide the items on that list into 3 categories, we call this a "wish list" and it is a vital part of the design process:
- Must Have Items: Things like another bedroom, an extra bathroom, an updated kitchen, an in-law suite.
- Would Like to Have Items: These are things that perhaps you'd like, but aren't essential. For instance, a jaccuzi in the bathroom, a range kitchen island, heated flooring, or a central control panel.
- Blue Sky: This could fall along the lines of personal touches, like a custom game room, a unique play-room for your kids, or a custom garage.
Once your list is complete, think about your budget. Staying within a budget you're comfortable paying is important. It's hard to be thrilled with your home makeover if you can't afford the payments!
Thinking about financing with the help of an experienced remodeling professional can help. They'll know if there are any methods that can help you get more out of your budget. For example, they'll be up to date with financing options, the latest tax credits, rebates, alternative building materials, and cost saving methods that can make many of your “Dream Items” possible even if you thought they were out of reach.
Once you’ve created your list of remodeling projects and considered your budget, it’s time to get a professional working with you to develop a plan to make your project a reality. When dealing with something as important as your home, you don’t want to settle for just anyone. Don’t trust something this important to the unqualified, inexperienced, uninsured, or anyone promising you something that you know is too good to be true.
To help you with the process, don't hesitate to download our free guide, 7 Questions to Ask Before Hiring a Bathroom Remodeler in the Greater San Jose Area. Make sure you thoroughly research and look into past projects from that remodeler before you begin.
Once you've determined why you need to update your home, settled on your budget, and chosen a local remodeler, you'll be ready to start on your dream remodeling project!
Need Help Remodeling Your Home in The San Jose Area?
Most remodeling projects aren't the result of a devestating event like a fire, but even if they are, we can help! We specialize in Bathroom and Kitchen remodels, as well as Home Additions. To get in touch and get your Free Remodeling Consultation, please click here to get a Free Consultation or call us at 1-408-813-2330.